Summer Haiku Assignment
The pond's dark
only stepping stones covered
with the first snowfall
~ James Kirkup
Poetry works through images, not explanations.
· Write a haiku that describes a part of your summer.
· See pages 424 and 425 in your English book for help.
· Follow the instructions on page 525.
· You must follow the 5-7-5 format.
· Center it in the middle of the page.
· You must draw a picture.
· I must be a large enough font that it can be read on the board; take
up the whole page!
· Attach this sheet.
· It is due ________________
____/10 It follows the 5-7-5 rule
It used descriptive language that creates an image, not an explanation
It is typed and has no spelling errors
It has a picture that relates
You followed the rules
Name & # _________________________
Parent Signature ____________________