Kill A Mockingbird Chapters 8-9
1. What happened to Miss Maudie's house? What
was her reaction?
2. Identify Cecil Jacobs.
3. What "disaster" happened at Christmas between
Scout and Francis?
4. What did Uncle Jack learn from
Chapters 10 & 11
What brave thing does Atticus do in chapter 10?
Why are Jen and Scout shocked?
According to Ms. Maudie, why is it a sin to kill a mockingbird?
What did Jem do when Mrs. Dubose said Atticus “lawed for niggers”/
What was Jem’s punishment?
What did Jem learn from his encounter with Mrs. Debose?
Why did Atticus choose this punishment?
Chapters 12 – 14
- How does Jem change?
- Identify Reverend Sykes, Lulu,
- What does Scout learn from
- Who was waiting for the kids
when they came home from the church service? Why had she come?
- “Aunt Alexandra fit
into Maycomb like a hand in a glove, but never into the world of Jem and me.”
- Atticus and Alexandra disagree
about how to handle the children. How does Atticus handle the situation?
- Describe Jem and Scout’s
relationship during these chapters as Jem matures.
- Why did Dill run away from
home and back to Maycomb?
1. What did Mr. Heck Tate's mob want?
2. What was the purpose of Walter Cunningham's
3. Why did Mr. Cunningham's mob leave?
4. Identify Mr. Dolphus Raymond.
5. Identify Tom Robinson, Mr. Gilmer, Bob Ewell,
Mayella Ewell, and Judge Taylor.
6. What was the importance of Mayella's bruises
being primarily on the right-hand side of her face?
1. What was Mayella's account of the incident
with Tom Robinson?
2. What was Tom's side of the story?
3. What was Tom's handicap? Why was it important
to his case?
4. What do Dill and Scout learn from Mr. Raymond?
5. What were Atticus' closing remarks to the jury?
6. What was the jury's verdict?
1. Why did Jem cry?
2. What was " 'round the back steps" when Calpurnia
came in on Monday morning?
3. What was the significance of Maudie's two little
cakes and one large one?
4. Describe Bob Ewell's meeting with Atticus at
the post office.
5. What is Atticus' reaction to Ewell's threats?
6. Alexandra doesn't want Scout playing with Walter
Cunningham. Why not?
7. Jem said, "I think I'm beginning to understand
why Boo Radley's stayed shut up in the house all this time . . . it's because he wants to stay inside." Why does he say that?
8. Mrs. Merriweather of the missionary circle
complains about her cooks and field hands. What does that tell us about her?
9. What happened to Tom Robinson?
10. What more do we learn about Alexandra after
Atticus and Calpurnia leave?
11. What did Mr. Underwood's editorial say?
1. What was Scout's fantasy regarding Arthur (Boo)
2. What did Scout hear Miss Gates say at the courthouse?
In class, Miss Gates said, "That's the difference between America and Germany. We are a democracy and Germany is a dictatorship.. . . We don't believe in persecuting anybody. Persecution
comes from people who are
prejudiced." What does this tell us about Miss
4. What happened to Helen Robinson?
5. What was Scout's part in the pageant?
6. Why did Scout and Jem not leave the school
until almost everyone else had gone?
7. What happened to Jem and Scout on the way home
from the pageant?
8. Who saved Jem and Scout? Who killed Bob Ewell?
9. Why did Heck Tate insist that Bob Ewell fell
on his own knife?
10. Scout arranged things so that "if Miss Stephanie
Crawford was watching from her upstairs window, she would see Arthur Radley escorting [her] down the sidewalk, as any gentleman
would do." Why did she do that?
11. As Scout leaves the Radley porch, she looks
out at the neighborhood and recounts the events of the last few years from the Radleys' perspective. Why is that important?